Monday, September 20, 2010

another amazing weekend, part 1

alternately titled: happy birthday, woman!

That picture I posted is from the Maryland Renaissance Festival. I ran away for the day on Saturday to celebrate the 21st birthday of one very special friend.


She and I have known each other since we were 8 and 11, respectively. We've shared late-night talks, tears and laughter. We consumed Mountain Dew, hummus and cucumbers at midnight. We dyed my hair and performed Shakespeare. And then we went to college . . . and, until Saturday, I hadn't seen her in 2 years.

But, somehow, we seemed to pick up right where we left off.

It's ironic that, right after a post on unity, I should feel so close to an agnostic who dabbled in Buddhism. I think it helps that we've always been honest with each other and had each other's best interests at heart. We've been able to disagree respectfully and unafraid to discuss our differences. We've always tried to understand each other. And, it helps that we share a mutual love for things like the Renaissance Festival. We were both wearing corset bodices with our jeans in the above picture. We got caught up in The Lord of the Rings frenzy at the same time and laughed at Shakespeare's double entendres together. (And we still do.)

She is an amazing person and an amazing friend that I feel privileged to have spent the day with. (And, because I now know that she only lives about an hour from me, Lyndon and I will be visiting her regularly.)

Happy 21st birthday, woman! MWAH!

No comments: