Sunday, June 3, 2012

we played in the sprinkler...

... and we got a new camera.

That's right, folks. After many months of beating around the bush, I got me an SLR! It was a gift, and I didn't think I'd use it; I didn't think I'd love it. But I do. Oh, I do.




And speaking of love... Lyndon has fallen in love with the sprinkler.



Sometimes I feel bad, even a little guilty at the (relatively) limited resources we have when it comes to entertaining our kids. Our yard is the size of a postage stamp, and most of it slopes downhill; our house doesn't have a playroom, so we don't have a lot of toys; Lyndon's tricycle was a freebie, and it's a little rusty, and so on. I envy the moonbounces, the finished basements, the pool memberships, thinking how much happier my children would be if they had access to these things.

And then I see the magic that happens when a little boy discovers a sprinkler. A basic, inexpensive gardening tool. And I realize that we have more than enough in the way of entertainment. We have a 2 year-old. We have imagination.

What's more entertaining than that?



2 comments:

Maura said...

very sweet...hope you all are well. Miss you! great pictures too with a new camera! yeah! and Happy Anniversary!

Joyce said...

If I could change anything about raising my children, it would be to give them LESS! Although at the time I wanted all those wonderful things too. Just seeing the joy on this little guy's face says that he does not need that more. He is living in that wonderful moment.